If you’ve recently been prescribed Guanfacine online or are considering taking it, it’s natural to wonder how much is Guanfacine without insurance vs with coverage. The cost of Guanfacine varies depending on several things, including whether or not you have insurance, the type of coverage you have, and your pharmacy’s prices.
Without insurance, the cost of Guanfacine can average around $20 for 30 tablets, but that price ultimately depends on the dosage and other factors. It also doesn’t account for the cost of a psychiatrist for a prescription. Insurance, Medicaid, or Medicare can get you lower or discounted rates on Guanfacine, but even if you’re not covered, there are ways to make the cost more affordable.
Guanfacine prescription online
Get an evaluation and prescription for Guanfacine from a psychiatric provider licensed in your state.
Read on to learn more about how much Guanfacine costs without insurance vs with it and how you can get the cost down either way.
Is Guanfacine Covered With Insurance?
Coverage for Guanfacine will differ based on your insurance plan. While the prescription medication is generally covered, how much you pay can vary depending on your healthcare provider and insurance plan. Guanfacine may be fully or partially covered for people with employer-sponsored health plans. Medicare and Medicaid also provide coverage for this ADHD medication in most cases.
Many employers offer several types of plans, including basic to comprehensive drug coverage. Basic plans usually cover generic medications (which Guanfacine is), while more comprehensive plans might also cover brand names. Employer plans may restrict the amount they’re willing to pay for certain drugs or require prior approval before offering coverage.
Cost of Guanfacine Without Insurance
The cost of Guanfacine without insurance can vary significantly, depending on where you purchase it. On average, generic Guanfacine costs about $20 for 30 tablets at most pharmacies. However, prices range from pharmacy to pharmacy, so it is wise to shop around. In addition, some online pharmacies offer discounts when buying larger quantities, so if you need more than a 1-month supply, this may be something worth looking into.
Some manufacturers offer patient assistance programs (PAPs) to help reduce the cost of certain medications like Guanfacine. For example, some coupon programs will bring the Guanfacine cost without insurance down to as little as $12 for a 30-day supply.
“While the cost of medication can be daunting, it is important to speak with your doctor about ways to access your medication at a lower cost. Different pharmacies have different costs. A 90-day supply can be more cost-effective, and sometimes, the pharmaceutical manufacturer has programs to help support the cost for those without insurance.”– Talkspace therapist Jill Daino, LCSW-R, BC-TMH
Factors that impact the cost of Guanfacine
Several factors impact the cost of Guanfacine without insurance. Dosage, strength, quantity purchased, and where you fill your prescription (for example, local pharmacy vs online) all play a role in the cost of any drug.
- Where purchased: Where you choose to purchase your medication can impact its overall cost significantly. This is partly due to differences in pricing structures between brick-and-mortar stores and online retailers. Some pharmacies offer discounts for bulk purchases and loyalty programs for repeat customers. They also might offer additional savings through coupons or promotions, reducing drug costs for people looking for affordable options.
- Type of insurance plan: Insurance plans can cover some or all the costs of prescription drugs like Guanfacine. The final price is contingent upon your plan, copay, and deductible. Before filling your first prescription of Guanfacine, you can contact your insurance provider or a pharmacist at the participating pharmacy to determine how much of the cost is covered.
- Type of drug you’re getting and the dosage: Generic medication forms are usually more affordable than brand-name drugs due to lower production costs and competition among manufacturers. More potent versions of a drug can be more expensive.
Cost of Guanfacine With Insurance
The cost of Guanfacine with insurance will depend on your policy type, deductible, and other factors — with insurance, generic Guanfacine can be anywhere from $10 to $45 for 30, 1 mg tablets, depending on your copay and other plan factors.
How to Get Guanfacine Without Insurance
Any drug can be expensive if you’re paying the cash price out of pocket. Fortunately, there are several ways to afford Guanfacine, even without insurance.
- Ask your doctor for samples: Many doctors have samples of medications they can give away or prescribe at no cost. If your doctor has access to Guanfacine samples, this could be a way for you to try the drug to ensure it works before filling an expensive prescription. This can be especially if you don’t have health insurance coverage.
- Look into patient assistance programs (PAPs): Pharmaceutical companies often provide patient assistance programs (PAPs) that cover the cost of prescription medications like Guanfacine. These can include copays and deductibles but are usually subject to eligibility criteria based on household income level. Similarly, state governments offer Medicaid plans which can also be used to get medications like Guanfacine, as long as you meet predetermined financial requirements.
- Use online mental health options: With online mental health treatment becoming more accessible and available, many people find this option beneficial when seeking help with their mental healthcare and medication needs.
- Shop around: As mentioned, different pharmacies charge different prices for the same drug. Sometimes that can mean a difference of hundreds of dollars per prescription. Putting in the time to shop around upfront can pay off in the long run, literally.
Affordable Online Mental Health Treatment
The cost of Guanfacine without insurance can be a significant burden for many people. Nevertheless, there are available options to make this drug more affordable. Some resources, such as online mental health treatment, provide quality care at an affordable price and may even offer discounts or financial assistance programs. With the right research and support, you can find the best option for your needs when considering how much is Guanfacine without insurance.
With online therapy and medication management services at Talkspace, anyone seeking help for mental health now has access to quality treatment at an affordable cost. You can talk to an online prescriber about cost, efficacy, and side effects of Guanfacine. Get started today!