According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), an estimated 13% of adults used some form of antidepressant medication in the last month. Unfortunately, despite a clear need, the cost of psychiatrist prescribed medication like Prozac (Fluoxetine) without health insurance can be a barrier for many people seeking mental health help.
Prozac treats symptoms of conditions like major depressive disorder (MDD), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), and some eating disorders. It’s in the class of drugs known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which are effective and typically affordable, but when you’re taking a drug long-term, “affordability” can add up, especially if you don’t have insurance and are paying out of pocket.
How much is Prozac without insurance? Depending on your dose and other factors, like what pharmacy you use or if you get Prozac online, it can range on average from $50 to $100 per month. What if you have insurance? Is Prozac covered in your health plan? How do you access affordable online mental health treatment if your insurance provider doesn’t cover it?
Prozac prescription online
Get an evaluation and prescription for Prozac from a psychiatric provider licensed in your state.
Explore these and other questions about Prozac coverage in detail here, so you can manage your mental health care and find an option that works — regardless of whether or not you’re insured. Let’s dive into topics like how much is Prozac without insurance, its cost when using different types of insurance, and where and how you can get quality care.
Is Prozac Covered by Insurance?
Many people wonder: is Prozac covered by insurance? The answer depends on your insurance type and your plan’s coverage for prescription medications.
Employer-sponsored health plans typically cover some or all the cost of Prozac prescriptions and the cost of a psychiatrist session. However, it’s important to check what specific coverage you have for Prozac before filling a prescription at a participating pharmacy.
Medicaid provides comprehensive healthcare benefits, including prescription drug coverage for many prescription medications like Prozac. Rules regarding which medications are covered under Medicaid can vary, so be sure to get any information you can about qualifying for Prozac prescriptions.
Cost of Prozac Without Insurance
Prozac cost without insurance coverage can be expensive, but there are ways to save on your prescription.
For example, the generic version of the drug will be significantly more affordable. The cost of the generic Prozac medication, Fluoxetine, without an insurance plan can be as low as approximately $4 per month for a 30-day supply.
Note that prices vary widely, depending on where you purchase it from and whether or not you have an online Prozac coupon code. Some online discount services can take up to 80% off the retail price of generic Prozac, so it’s worth looking into.
Factors that impact cost
Factors that impact the cost of Prozac include dosage, strength, and quantity prescribed by your doctor. Additional fees might also be charged by your pharmacy, like delivery charges. Sometimes you can find programs that provide discounted medications for people who qualify based on income level or medical condition, which can lower the cost.
Cost of Prozac With Insurance
The cost of Prozac with insurance depends on your type of coverage. Most health plans cover at least some portion of the cost of a prescription medication like Prozac. However, the amount covered and your out-of-pocket costs will vary depending on your plan’s deductible, copayments, or coinsurance amounts.
How to Get Prozac Without Insurance
Looking for answers beyond just how much does Prozac cost without insurance? Wondering about how to actually get this drug without coverage? Follow these tips:
- Speak to your doctor: If you don’t have insurance, speak to your doctor about the cost of Prozac and other medications that may be available at a lower price. They may be able to provide you with a prescription for Prozac at no or reduced cost.
- Check out any discount programs: Many pharmacies offer discount programs for people without insurance coverage. Ask your local pharmacy if there are discounts or coupons available.
- Look into Patient Assistance Programs (PAPs): Patient Assistance Programs (PAPs) offered by pharmaceutical companies can help cover the costs of medications like Prozac for those who meet specific financial and medical criteria. To learn more about these programs, visit the websites of the pharmaceutical company that manufactures Prozac or ask your doctor for information on the available options.
- Ask for the generic alternative: When available, the generic medication options will be much lower in price than brand-name versions. Ask your doctor if the generic version of Prozac, Fluoxetine, is right for you.
Affordable Online Mental Health Treatment
Online mental health treatment is becoming increasingly popular as more people seek help for their mental health conditions.Talkspace offers online psychiatry services to meet your needs and budget.
Are you struggling with the cost of Prozac without insurance? Don’t worry — there are solutions. Regardless of coverage, we make psychiatry and therapy services affordable. Take action today and find a psychiatrist who understands your unique situation so you can start feeling better soon.
- Antidepressant Use Among Adults: United States, 2015-2018. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db377.htm. Published September 4, 2020. Accessed February 8, 2023.