Cymbalta (duloxetine) is a widely used antidepressant medication. It’s in a newer class of drugs known as serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), which balance serotonin and norepinephrine levels in the brain. In studies, Cymbalta has shown to be effective in treating major depressive disorder (MDD), and it’s also approved to treat anxiety and pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy. A barrier for many people to getting Cymbalta is concerns of the cost as the price of Cymbalta can differ depending on several factors. One of which is not having insurance coverage.
So, how much is Cymbalta without insurance? A 30-day supply of Cymbalta can cost up to $300 without insurance coverage, depending on the prescription medication. With insurance coverage, however, it could be as low as $30 — or even free — in some cases.
The cost of your Cymbalta prescription will depend on insurance, what your doctor prescribed, and more. Learn about Cymbalta cost without insurance vs. with coverage and explore other ways to get access to mental health treatments at an affordable price.
Is Cymbalta Covered With Insurance?
Yes — most insurance plans cover the cost of Cymbalta. If you have employer-provided health insurance, your plan’s prescription drug benefit likely covers Cymbalta in full or partially. Employer plans usually cover generic and brand-name drugs, so check your plan details.
If you don’t have employer-provided health insurance, Medicaid and Medicare may also provide some coverage for Cymbalta. Each state has different rules about what types of medications are covered under Medicaid and Medicare programs, so check with your local program administrator before filling a prescription.
Cost of Cymbalta Without Insurance
How much does Cymbalta cost without insurance? The price can vary; a 30-day supply can cost between $200 and $300 for 60 mg brand-name pills. The cost could be either higher or lower based on where you get it, what strength your physician recommends, and if you use coupon or discount cards.
Psychiatry and Prescriptions Online
Receive an evaluation and prescription for mental health medication (if needed) from a psychiatry-trained medical provider.
Discounts may be available to reduce the price. For example, you might use bulk purchases, manufacturer coupons, retailer promos, and health plan or government program reductions like Medicare Part D or Medicaid. Furthermore, opting for generic drug alternatives can offer even more cost savings due to their typically lower price points.
“It is ok to ask your doctor for suggestions to make the medication affordable. A doctor may prescribe a generic medication that may work the same way but does not have the marketing bills to pay.”– Talkspace therapist Dr Karmen Smith LCSW DD
Factors that also impact the cost of Cymbalta
Several things can affect the cost of any prescription drug. Factors that might come into play include:
- What pharmacy you fill your prescription medication at
- Your dosage
- Your copay if you have insurance
- If you get brand-name or generic medication
- Whether or not you use a manufacturer discount or coupon card
Cost of Cymbalta With Insurance
The Cymbalta cost with insurance will generally be cheaper than if you’re paying out-of-pocket. A 30-day supply of Cymbalta can be anywhere from $30 to more than $80, contingent on the pharmacy and your actual plan.
Using your insurance provider’s preferred pharmacy or a mail-order service might give you a more cost-effective price. In addition, certain insurers offer discounts on generic alternatives to medications, potentially reducing the cost further.
How to Get Cymbalta Without Insurance
Even without prescription drug coverage, there are still ways to save. If you’ve been stressed out, that’s understandable — but you do have options.
Here are some creative ways to get the Cymbalta cost without insurance down:
- Ask your doctor: Ask for samples or coupons — many doctors have access to free samples of medications they can provide to people in need. In addition, numerous pharmaceutical firms present vouchers or other cost-saving options on drugs like Cymbalta, which can make a big difference.
- Consider generic drug alternatives: The generic version of Cymbalta, duloxetine, is typically much more affordable, with or without insurance. Talk with your doctor about switching to a generic Cymbalta version and if they know of any programs you might qualify for.
- Check out discount cards: Discount cards allow users to purchase prescriptions at discounted prices from participating pharmacies near them, regardless of insurance status or income level. These cards often cover up to 80% off the retail price of prescription drugs, including antidepressants like Cymbalta.
- Look into assistance programs: This can be a great way to get Cymbalta without insurance. Pharmaceutical firms sometimes provide aid plans that give away or slash prescription drug prices for those who meet specific criteria based on income, medical requirements, and other elements.
- Ask for a 90-day supply: Getting a 3-month supply instead of a 30-day supply might help reduce the cost per pill in the long run.
- Use a mail-in pharmacy: Mail-in pharmacy services can substantially reduce the cost of certain drugs.
“Do your research. More companies are offering coupons for medication. You can see what the medication will cost at different shopping outlets by typing in the medication. These features can be instrumental in allowing the consumer to shop around for the best price.”– Talkspace therapist Dr. Karmen Smith LCSW DD
Affordable Online Mental Health Treatment
Cymbalta can be an effective solution for your mental healthcare needs. Mental health treatment can be expensive, especially if you don’t have insurance, but it doesn’t have to be daunting to figure out how to afford your medication. You already have enough to think about, between the side effects of Cymbalta and the timeline of which the medication begins to work effectively. Cost should be the last of your concerns. With online mental health services like Talkspace, you can get quality therapy at an affordable price.
With Talkspace online psychiatry, you don’t need to worry about getting to physical appointments or taking time off work for sessions. Everything is done through secure transactions on the app, so all you need is an internet connection and some free time. The Talkspace platform offers experienced, licensed professionals who specialize in treating mental health conditions — get started today.
- Ball S, Desaiah D, Zhang Q, Thase M, Perahia D. Efficacy and safety of duloxetine 60 mg once daily in major depressive disorder: A review with expert commentary. Drugs in Context. 2013:1-16. doi:10.7573/dic.212245. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3884746/. Accessed March 7, 2023.
- Duloxetine (Cymbalta). NAMI. https://www.nami.org/About-Mental-Illness/Treatments/Mental-Health-Medications/Types-of-Medication/Duloxetine-(Cymbalta). Accessed March 7, 2023.
Talkspace articles are written by experienced mental health-wellness contributors; they are grounded in scientific research and evidence-based practices. Articles are extensively reviewed by our team of clinical experts (therapists and psychiatrists of various specialties) to ensure content is accurate and on par with current industry standards.
Our goal at Talkspace is to provide the most up-to-date, valuable, and objective information on mental health-related topics in order to help readers make informed decisions.
Articles contain trusted third-party sources that are either directly linked to in the text or listed at the bottom to take readers directly to the source.