Watch how it works
What NYC teens say about Talkspace
“Talkspace kind of just allowed me to get the care that I needed at the time that I needed it when I needed it. My therapist would be able to be there for me almost instantaneously.”
“My therapist made it very easy and welcoming . . It really did help. I feel like everybody should give it a shot. You just never know when you need to talk to somebody, when you need to process your emotions.”
“Knowing that I can text my therapist whenever I need and she can get back to me as soon as she can is also really comforting. I always know that somebody is there for me when I need them.”
“I absolutely love the therapist I’ve been paired with. She’s really helpful. Therapy has been super-beneficial for me.”
“It was so helpful because I was able to understand more about myself as well as building specific exercises that I was able to do in my day to day life with anxiety and overthinking.”
— Faith Marie
“I was going through it emotionally and I felt like I did not have anyone to talk to until I came across Talkspace. Therapy has really helped me”
"As I started opening up and talking about my issues, I felt strength, not vulnerability; and when I discovered I could speak with a therapist by text, web, or video—wherever I might be—it was an amazing feeling of empowerment."
Talkspace has been named a top service for teens
Talkspace is “Best Overall” Online Teen Counseling Program
Best Text-Based Online Therapy for Teens in 2023
Best Online Teen Therapy for Unlimited Texting
Why teens are into Talkspace
Learn more about teen mental health
What is Talkspace Therapy: Features & Benefits
What to Expect from Therapy
How to Tell Your Parents You Need Therapy
How to Help a Teenager with Mental Health Issues
The Effects of Social Media on Teens
Anxiety in Teens: Symptoms & Treatment
7 Mental Health Resources for LGBTQ Teens
Social Anxiety in Teens: Signs & Symptoms
How to Set Boundaries With Parents: A Therapist’s Guide
Starting Therapy: Your Helpful Guide
Do I Need Therapy?
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of services are being offered?
Talkspace is an online therapy service that connects individuals to a dedicated, licensed mental health therapist through private messaging, live sessions, or both from the privacy and convenience of their computer or smartphone. Users can regularly message their dedicated Talkspace therapists via text, voice, or video as life happens — anywhere, anytime.
Talkspace also offers virtual resources and online classes through Talkspace Go, an app designed to improve teen mental health.
Who is eligible under this NYC program?
The program is completely free for NYC residents who are 13-17 years of age at the time of sign up. You do not need to have insurance for your teen to participate.
How does my teen sign up for therapy?
Teens ages 13 - 17 can gain access to Talkspace services in just a few steps:
- Click on 'Get started' at the top of this page and enter their birthdate and zip code to qualify.
- Answer a few questions about themselves.
- They'll enter a parent or guardian's email address who will then receive an email to provide consent (if the teen has chosen therapy).
- Teens are typically matched to a therapist licensed in New York within 24 hours. Talkspace technology pairs users with a therapist based on factors such as what they’re struggling with and therapist speciality.
- Once your teen has signed up, they have access to one live video session per month and unlimited messaging therapy from their computer or cellphone. Teens can send messages to their Talkspace therapist 24/7. Therapistsgenerally respond every day, 5 days per week.
My teen is having trouble signing up under NYC Teenspace. How can I fix this?
Try the following if your teen is encountering issues signing up for NYC Teenspace.
- Your teen has entered your NYC address correctly
- Your teen is currently between the ages of 13 and 17 years
- Your teen is signing up directly from this page. If you are choosing to sign up from our main website or the Talkspace app, make sure you select "Teen Therapy" to see information on the program.
Does this service cost anything?
Talkspace services are free for eligible NYC teens aged 13-17 years old. You will need to provide us with your address and birth date in order to confirm if you are eligible.
My teen is about to turn 18, will my teen lose access to their Talkspace provider?
If your teen turns 18 after signing up and remains in NYC, they can continue to use Teenspace until June 30. After June 30th of that year, they will no longer be covered under this program and will need to sign up under a different plan or pay out of pocket.
What happens if my teen is in crisis?
Is parental consent required? If so, how do I provide it?
Yes. During the sign-up process, your teen will be asked to provide contact information (first name, last name and email address) for you as parent/guardian. Talkspace will send you an email prompting you to provide consent.
How is my teen's data protected?
Can my teen use Zoom or Skype?
Can I have my teen's data deleted?
When should my teen use Talkspace?
Your teen can use Talkspace before or after school, during weekends, and whenever is most convenient for them. We recommend that your teen follow their school's policy around phone usage during school hours. Your teen can send messages to their Talkspace provider 24/7. Depending on their schedule, providers generally respond every day, 5 days per week.
What happens if my teen doesn't use their account after a period of time?
Your teen's account will become inactive after 25 days of non-usage. If this happens and they would like to continue therapy, simply type a message in your chatroom for the room to become active again.
Who can my teen contact if they have a question about how to access the system?
How long can teens remain enrolled in NYC Teenspace, and what happens if they still need care after the initial period?
The program will run through November 2026.; Teens can use the service throughout the entire program duration. When a client turns 18 years old, they can work with their provider until June 30 of that year. After June 30, the provider can share options for continued care with the client. They will receive information about enrolling in Talkspace as an adult client with insurance or pay-out-of-pocket options and/or give resources for them to continue their mental health care.
What should I do if I have more questions about Talkspace?
Please visit our Help Center for more information.
What are other resources available in NYC?
Please visit this link to learn about more resources in NYC.
What type of treatment can my teen receive from Teenspace?
Teenspace, a service powered by Talkspace, can help your teen with the most common emotional and behavioral health issues such as depression, anxiety, chemical dependence, stress, PTSD, and more.
Is medication management included with this program?
No, not at this time.
When can my teen use Talkspace?
Your teen can utilize Talkspace at any time, day or night. They have the freedom to send messages to their Talkspace provider 24/7. Our providers are typically available to respond every day, five days a week, ensuring consistent support for your teen's well-being.
How would a parent/guardian communicate with a Talkspace provider?
Does Talkspace offer family therapy through this program?
No, not at this time.
Can my teen use Talkspace if the teen is considered high risk?
Talkspace providers are skilled in working with teens with high acuity needs; however, if the provider determines it is in the best interest of your teen to receive higher or specialty levels of care that are not provided through Talkspace, the Talkspace provider will discuss the options with your teen and you (if appropriate) and make referrals to other services.
Do I need to give my consent for my teen to sign up for therapy with Talkspace in New York?
In New York a parent’s or guardian’s permission is necessary unless your meets one of the exemptions listed below:
- If you are an emancipated minor.
- If you have a child of your own.
New York law also allows your teen to consult with a therapist about why they have concerns with getting your permission. If the provider agrees, New York law allows teens to receive therapy without their parent’s permission if:
- The parent or guardian is not reasonably available.
- Requiring the parent’s or guardian’s consent or involvement could be harmful to the teen.
- If the parent or guardian has refused to give their permission and the provider determines that treatment is necessary and in your best interest.
You can read about the laws of New York related to teen consent here.
My teen does not have access to video camera, can my teen still use Talkspace?
Yes. If your teen doesn't have access to a device with a video, your teen can conduct their monthly live session using audio-only, and also through messaging, including text and audio messaging.
My teen is not able to be alone for a session, can my teen still use Talkspace?
Yes. If your teen cannot be alone for the session, we can schedule at a time that would better meet their needs. In between sessions your teen can still use Talkspace through messaging, including text and audio messaging.
Will my teen’s provider share information with other parties (ie. school, doctor, etc.) about my teen, without their consent, extending beyond the question of data security?
Providers at Talkspace adhere to strict confidentiality policies. They will not share any information about your teen's care unless a formal request is submitted through the Request of Information (ROI) process. To learn more, visit here.
What is Talkspace Go?
Talkspace Go is a self-directed, app-based experience designed to help you increase confidence and improve your mental and emotional health through a guided therapy program, reflection prompts, and interactive topical classes.
How do I get started with Talkspace Go?
- Download Talkspace Go from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store
- Open the app
- Tap "Next" through the onboarding and create an account
How do I find on-demand classes in Talkspace Go?
- Open the app
- Navigate to the "Explore" page
- Under explore by content type, you will see an option for on-demand classes
I'm having trouble logging into Talkspace Go, how do I reset my password?
- Tap "Forgot Password" and enter your email address that was used to set up your Talkspace Go account.
- On your mobile phone, open the password reset email sent to you by Talkspace Go.
- On your mobile phone, Tap on the "Magic Login" link in the email, and you'll be logged into the Talkspace Go App. The Magic Link will expire in 15 minutes.
How do I contact Talkspace Go customer support?
Support is available by emailing [email protected]. You will receive a response within one business day.
How do I book a Talkspace Go class?
- Navigate to "Live Classes" on the "Explore" page
- Tap "Book Class" on the class you would like to join.
- All booked classes will be available to view on the "Booked" tab on the "Live Classes" page.
You will have the option to add the class to your calendar.
How do I attend a live Talkspace Go class?
- Make sure you have stable internet connection and the ability to stream audio and video.
- To join from your phone:
• Download the Zoom app in the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store.
• Tap the link on your reservation page or from your calendar
- To join from your computer:
• Click the link you receive by email on the day of the event
I missed a live Talkspace Go class I booked, how can I access the recording?
Everyone who signs ups for the class with gain access to the live video recording. You will receive an email with a link to the on-demand video once the recording is available.
I have a Talkspace therapy account. Why do I need to create a separate account for Talkspace Go?
For security purposes, Talkspace Therapy and Talkspace Go accounts are completely separate. You'll need to create a separate login for each application.
Can I sign up for both Talkspace Go and therapy through NYC Teenspace?
Yes! You can sign up for both Talkspace Go and therapy through NYC Teenspace.